It was fashionable in the Nineteenth Century for members of the gentry and the church to establish antiquarian societies. Since the majority of members were churchmen, it was natural that the new societies should be based on a diocese. This was the case of the Lincolnshire society, which was founded in 1844, firstly as an architectural one but later to include archaeology. It eventually assumed the title The Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society (LAAS).
Links were formed with neighbouring counties, some of which were part of the diocese until the latter part of the 19th century. The volumes of ‘Reports and Papers’ first produced by the Society included reports from The Diocese of Lincoln, County of York, Archdeaconry of Northampton, County of Bedford, Diocese of Worcester, County of Leicester, and Town of Sheffield. For a long period the editor was Rev. Edward Trollope, who eventually became Bishop of Southwell – a new diocese formed to cover the county of Nottinghamshire in 1884. It was after this date that the LAAS reports became exclusively concerned with Lincolnshire architecture and archaeology.